Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Korean Parents

Korean parents vary, just like any parent from different nationalities. But somethings are very different.

1. Education
Korean parents are obsessed with good education. Children's mental health doesn't matter when it comes to education. Parents would do anything to provide their children with good education. They would send kids to hakwon which are basically a concentration camp for reading & writing. Once the children come out of hakwons they become smarter. Of course it comes with a price. One of the expensive ones costs around 1000 dollars per month. But, the thing is this is just one hakwon. Most people do 2~3 hakwons. But, for most people they would pay this much because a good education is a necessary for surviving the Korean society.

2. Rumors
Korean parents are such gossips. They would keep making stupid rumors. Keep spreading them. The problem is the victims are the children. Reason why parents are embarrassed of their children. If their children gets bad rumors, they feel extremely embarrassed. Call it shame to the family's pride.

3. Father rule all
Dads make decisions. Its final.

4. Mother nags
Mom would always nag about something.

5. They'll give everything.
The Korean system is a bit different. Parents will give money to children when they start off in the society. It makes it easier for children. However, parents would sacrifice their retirement plans. I mean look at all those young people with branded clothes. Then again we look at older generations and they wear pretty shitty clothes. I feel guilty for buying clothes but sometimes it annoys me a lot how everybody buys branded clothes that if you don't meet up with the standards, people look down on you.

6. Generation gap is insane. Look at Korea right now. It has so much technology and so much fashion. Look at Korea 50 years ago. It was just recovering from the war. My parents were trained for a war in school. Basically grew up in a shithole. So, its hard for them to understand we need cellphones, laptops and etc. For them I guess the fact that we have books, water and shelter is enough. fmlfmlfmlfmlfml.

How are parents' from your world?




2 comments:

  1. My parents got divorced when I was really young. My dad had full custody of me while I got to visit my mother every summer for 2-3 months at a time.

    As I got older, I wished that I had lived with my mother. I wanted to learn more of my Korean roots, perfect the language, and get used to the cultural customs. But, everything happens for a reason, and it turned out my mom remarried and lived in France for the rest of the years anyway.

    Until this day, she still stresses to me on how important college is, though, and asks me what I plan to do with my life. It did worry me for a while that I wasn't living up to her expectation. My dad, on the other hand, always tells me to do whatever makes me happy. He was raised in a poor family, and knows that people can still be happy with what little things they may have. I guess my parents give me an even balance. While I still strive to do well within myself, I know now that in the end money doesn't buy happiness, love, or friends. This can only be achieved with a full filled happy life and positive outlook.

    I have so many friends that are "stuck" studying to be doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc. They are so miserable. Some have graduated and moved on to their specialized career, but quickly switched due to the lack of gratification. Why live up to what the parents want when it's YOU that has to live and put up with your life?? That's the ultimate question.

    I see it as this- I rather have a happy son/daughter doing what they love best making little money than a depressed rich one that contemplates on whether or not to continue on with their life. In the end, the depressed one winds up killing themselves and the parents get nothing out of it. It's all a loss. All that time invested is now down the drain. There's no more son or daughter and no more "wealthy" reputation flowing through the family name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Michelle I had no idea you were half Korean. Well yeah your right. Having a specialized career is very stressful and I am going to change as well ... So not worth it and money definitely doesn't buy happiness. It could help but if your so stressed earning it, it doesn't.

      I totally agree with how you would raise your children. But I think I'll teach my children to like computer science or biology. I do have few friends who enjoy theses hard classes because their parents taught them to enjoy them. But if they don't, I'll probably do what your dad did. Just do whatever. As long as they promise to work hard and enjoy it.

      Idk, I'll be happy some day. I'll be like Omg I love my life. Its just that its going to take a while. I need to graduate, go to military and then get a job. I mean happiness could start now but I really hate my college.

      Thanks for commenting. Actually I'm really happy I can thank people. Well for me, even if I'm very pessimistic of life. I do think the ability to thank people is the greatest gift <3 lol its just that people think I'm weird if I start thanking them haha

      Delete