Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Plastic monster

Plastic monster, its a term coined for people who've done ridiculous amount of surgery that their faces are "perfect". So perfect that its disgusting. I'm pretty sure few do resident in America. Recently I've countered one in the Korean subway. I have no rights to say anything. Its their face and they like it. Thats what matters, but at the moment, the public illustrate them as  plastic monsters. Show bitterness, hatred and etc towards them. Sadly, people don't realize its actually that there must be a problem in the system we are living in that resulted people to behave in such ways. It is true that people are nicer towards people who are more attractive. I mean I'm a guy and I too may act a bit different towards different people. But, sometimes people treat others who aren't good looking as them really condescendingly. In Korea, it sometimes leads to bullying. Korean bullying isn't about few people ganging up on someone. Its about the whole classroom ganging up on you. In worst cases, the whole school hates you. If a child had such experience, isn't it expected for the child's inner self to need plastic surgery? Plus, as people who've done plastic surgery experience positive feedback from peers, they probably want more of it until they become these perfect beings. They go through all that emotional and physical pain to become this perfect creatures and here we are calling them plastic monsters.


6 comments:

  1. This. Frankly, this has always bugged me too. It's definitely a problem with the system that we value beauty in ways they shouldn't be valued. It's a big problem for superficial Korea. There's a lot of behavioral experiments that deal with this, and more often than not, if two candidates are equally qualified for a position, the more attractive one will get it. And of course, this is only one example of how attractiveness pervades our system... There are a lot of unspoken social restrictions set on the less attractive, and to some extent going under the knife offsets this inequality. A lot of people seem to view it as something to be frowned upon, but honestly I feel like it shouldn't be. The only major problem is accessibility, because the operations often cost an arm and a leg. Not everybody can afford it, which makes it sort of a blatantly visible indication of class difference. I think that's where the animosity stems from.. But then again, some people are to excessive with the operations, and almost anything excessive/extreme is frowned upon everywhere. Lesson of the day being "everything in moderation" lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow.. I realized how long that was after I posted it. Also, *too

      Delete
    2. lol I guess you had a lot to say. You think its only human to treat people who are more attractive better? Another thing, I'm not sure if one's ability to afford plastic surgery defines a class group... People's mentality these days is "get sexy and marry the rich." You "NEED" the foreign car, nice house, branded clothing, to marry a wealthy person. Get loans and marry someone wealthy. So, how much one spends is quite deceiving. My co worker in Malaysia would starve to buy a 400 USD pair of shoes. Dude, I really don't know what I see anymore.

      Delete
    3. It's definitely not a fair thing to do, but it's a subconscious bias that I think almost everyone has. I'd be lying if I said I didn't pay more attention to the prettier girl if two girls are walking by, you know? But of course, appearance is always the superficial attention grabber haha. I can't really say anything about the person starving for 400 USD shoes because I've done something similar for my hobby lol

      Delete
  2. Well, I haven't commented on here in a while! Good post. I'm glad that you spoke about this topic.

    P.S. I know this isn't really the place to tell you but I have no other way of PM'ing you. Well, I deactivated the first Facebook account (Sabrina Bui) you added me on because of some issues. I think I messaged you about it but when I tried to readd you, FB wouldn't let me. So, on my new account, do you mind if re-add you? ^^ Here's the link to my new account: https://www.facebook.com/krystal.nguyen.1276

    You don't have too of course because some friends don't really think that it's me, but it is really! If you're wondering the name, Krystal is my middle name. And the last name is actually my mother's.

    I hope no creepy stalker people like start adding me on FB. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh lol I'm a creepy stalker! Dude sorry I was drunk sleeping when you messaged.

      Delete