Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Voting; denizenmag;

I voted today. It was interesting. I'm 24 and its my first time voting. I wasn't in Korea when elections happen so I never got to. My dad told me today I should go vote with him. I told him I didn't want to. He urged me to because carelessness might result in unwanted consequences. I do agree with his view. I persuaded him that this is a democratic country and I wanted to exercise my free will not to vote. Yes, I do understand some readers will get angry at myself for proclaiming my beliefs. Not voting has a lot of negativity involved. People see not voting as being rebellious, irresponsible and giving up my choices. After my dad asked me to vote, I thought for a moment. I honestly don't know much about the candidates. I lack the knowledge to make the correct decision for our country. My dad explained Korean politics and I've started to realize I was scared. As someone who have been picked on for irrational reasons, I was scared that voting would cause problems. Like if I do vote, people are going to castigate me for voting, telling me I didn't live in Korea long enough to understand what is good for Korea. If I don't vote, people are going to criticize me for not being part of Korea. Most people would see this as a unreasonable worrying, but to me its real. It terrorizes me at times. I need to let this go, but I can't. I have no idea how. Every time I see to be able to, someone comes in and reminds me of such unwanted memories.

 In the end, I did go vote, but I only voted on things I know. I think its a healthy practice. I can justify my reasons for my selections. I really don't want to not be able to justify my selections. Well, I got that over with. 

After I bought my family lunch. We had Chinese. More like Korean Chinese because Chinese food have been altered so much that it is extremely different. It was pretty decent. My mom and dad went back home. I told my parents I'll stay at starbucks. Its my favorite branch. It is pretty far. Its like a 30 minute walk, but the Chinese restaurant was next to it. My mom didn't say anything because we argued yesterday. I went to see a friend yesterday. She expected that I spent a lot of money. So, as soon as I arrived home, she yelled at me and accused me of spending a lot. I mean it was not unreasonable. I was out the whole day. The more time you spend outside is commensurate to the amount of money you spend. My mom doesn't realize I care a lot about other people, especially my parents. 

Yesterday, I walked to meet my friend. I also walked back. So, I didn't spend anything on transportation. My friend bought me food because he owed me way back. I bought myself coffee. Coffee cost 3 dollars 90 cents in Korea. I use a tumbler so I get a 30 cent discount. So, I spent 3 dollars and 60 cents for the whole day. Its not too bad. I spend a lot more if I were to go drinking with people. I rarely do. 

Mom apologized because she assumes too much things. Her assumptions are quite funny at times. Like last time it snowed, she thought I was hanging out with a girl. Because in movies, when it snows, guys and girls hang out. Live the romantic life. In reality, I went to the mart because I was hungry and they have discounts at night. I destroyed her expectations when I came home with a bucket of cheap chicken. I guess she didn't nag today because of yesterday. 

Today my friend also sent me this link. http://www.denizenmag.com. Its about tcks around the world. I seems pretty common for tcks too look for connections. I probably will read it later when I have more time. 

3 comments:

  1. Well, relying on what you believe in, and sticking on it doesn't really bother me at all. We all have our own personal preferences over something - even I am sometimes discouraged to vote where I am sure that there will be no change at all.

    However, it is true (at least) that you have the right to complain on the administration once you voted. If you didn't, then you need to shut up and just be passive, since you didn't exercise your right to vote for the person that you think will do better.

    But still, it's good that you have voted even though you have doubts. That just proves that you're really exercising your rights and responsibilities as a citizen of a country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the greatest problem in Korea is that neither the other political party nor its people are willing to acknowledge the people who got voted. They keep having protests… Idk its good for democracy, but protests are bothersome.

      I don't think people who did vote have a greater right to complain lol.

      Maybe people should stop expecting so much from the government…

      Delete
  2. You were having a nice chill date with the cheap chicken.... I had one of those on tuesday lol

    ReplyDelete