Korean Grandmothers' are Naggers!
My Korean grandmother can nag about almost everything. As soon as I get out of the security checks and come out of the airport with my heavy luggage, she would scan from head to toe over and over again, like those robots with those red laser scans coming out of their eyes! Its like I'm going through security check all over again, its just more intense. It was OK, at the airport. She would just greet me and welcome me back. However, as soon as we get home, she can't stop nagging. She would start off with my physical appearance. She would ask why am I so fat =S (Well, sorry grandma, your genes didn't provide me with faster metabolism!) Next summer, I lost weight, although it was unintentional. Again, when we got back home, she would nag about how my "fashion sense" is so untrendy and baggy. Then, for the upcoming summer I bought a lot of clothes that would blend in with the "Korean" fashion trend( basically skinny jeans and tight clothes, which now I can't wear in the US since it would make me look gay!) She was please for a couple of days and when I finally was thought I was free from her nagging, she started nagging about how I don't get scholarship. =S Even though I told her numerous times that my school does not provide scholarship, she would still complain! So, basically I had to give up! Its TOO MUCH!
Korean Grandmothers Like to Try New Things!
Korean grandmothers are not those old people who would go against everything that is new! They would try to learn how to use new technology! My grandmother would ask me to sit down with her and help her learn how to open up a explorer window! Well, to us it might not sound so great but for my grandmother, it was a challenge. When she sent an email to her friends she would call her friends to read the message =D And thats not all, she would show off to her friends that she CAN send a email and she can still be young! Another challenge for her was to send a text message! She would take up to 10 min just trying to figure out how to send a message with my help. She would keep on trying and asking me how to send a message even though she would forget in the next hours. Still, its better than not even trying!
Korean Grandmothers would Discriminate themselves from the Young!
Its something like Korean Grandmothers United against the young! Well not in the extreme extreme lol but, she would talk as if elders are victims of the younger people. And trust me grandmothers would unite themselves for the better good for the elders! Couple of grandmothers scolding a child for being bad is not a pretty sight =S I guess its because the younger generations are stronger and they feel that they have to protect themselves and side with themselves.(Not always true though)
Korean Grandmothers are Babies!
Korean grandmothers act like babies. Well, definitely not in a bad way. Its more like that Korean grandmothers act in a cute way. They would be jealous if one person gets something more, they always like presents and would love to show those presents off to their friends!
Korean Grandmothers are Caring!
Although they are big naggers, they nag because they care about us. They just want us to be better so that we would be more successful in the future. They also always leave food so that the youngest can eat the last bite. In addition, a lot of the time my grandmother would pass me invaluable knowledge of experiences. One would be "Watch out for WOMEN" hahahaha Well, its a pretty sexist comment, but I guess she's just saying that to me since I'm a guy. She would probably have told my sister to "Watch out for MEN" I guess from her experience, her failure to find a good wife and husband for my aunts and uncles was her greatest regret. (Note: most of my aunt and uncles marriages ended up bad). Another experience that she told me about was about the 6.25 war. This was invaluable experiences since these experiences are not likely to be found in textbooks!
This is basically all I can say about MY Korean grandmother. I'm not so sure about other grandmothers. SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES =D
No comments:
Post a Comment