Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why do you like Korea?

I am quite amazed how many people like Korea. Its quite funny how a lot of foreigners love Korea whereas as most Koreans would rather live outside of Korea.

Let me explain the Korean side of why they don't want to live in Korea.

Korean education
Korean education isn't very diverse. It only focuses on English, Korean, Math and science. Other studies like social studies, music, computers and physical educations are not focused. Nobody really cares about them. Also, after school activities aren't great. Students rarely participate in after school activities because they are not that many activities available. Lastly, education in Korea is very rigorous. We are technically the Jews of Asia. Parents spend a lot of money on hakwons which are private institutes where students get more private education. When I was in high school, I would wake up at 6am go to school end school around 10 pm. I'll get home around 11 pm. I used to go to hakwon until 2 am. But, my health got bad so I started to just study at home. But, in the weekends I would go to hakwon from 9 am to 5 pm.

Korean customs 
Korean customs are quite annoying sometimes. Elders are respected whether they are capable or not. Usually younger people cannot speak up to their elders. Even a year difference in age changes what kind of respect you get. So, in business, if an elder or higher up says something, you just follow. No talking back and exchanging ideas. However, I heard this customs is getting more loose but it still exists

Korean Pays 
Korean payment aren't very high. Most people would get 2 thousand dollars per month initially and gradually go around 3 thousand dollars per month. Compared to the pay, the required specs as the Koreans call it are very high. For example, my sister got into University of Berkeley, which is a top school world wide. In Korea she barely got into the top engineering school in Korea. Its pretty funny. Same concept applies in jobs. In order to get a job in Korea, Koreans have to have the highest spec possible. That is the main reason why there are so many Koreans studying aboard. (My case is a bit different because I've been living aboard for so long). Koreans are going to Universities world wide to find create a better resume to get a decent paying job.

Foreign Food
Foreign food is over priced in Korea. A lot of my Korean friends love to eat western food but find it expensive. Obviously a lot of people are abusing the fact that the food is foreign. Pizza costs around 30 dollars in Korea.

Foreign Dreams
A lot of Koreans dream that foreign countries have better living standards and its a easy life. I think its a stereotype created because a lot of Koreans living aboard is well off. These Koreans probably live well even in Korea -.- Thus, creating a atmosphere saying outside of Korea is better. I sometimes agree because there are opportunities but it always comes with a tradeoff. For example, you'll have international friends, but you never get the opportunity to make friends in your home country. Or you'll learn a lot of English but suck at Korean. Its really hard to have a acquire everything.

For me, I love Korea for its food, culture, transportation, economy and sense of belonging even though I have no friends there. I used to hate Korea when I went to go to a Korean middle school and high school. I'm not sure if I'll hate Korea when I go to the military and work there. But for sure, for my children's education I want to intermix Korean education and Western education if I have to chance. Korea provides enough hakwons to master a lot of things, but it lacks the encouragement of studying that field of expertises, which western schools have a lot of.

8 comments:

  1. Korean Pride Activated ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol at your lil emoticon on the comment
    I like Korea because of the Culture in general and the Food...
    I believe it's very alike to Mexico
    Also,,,most people would like to live somewhere OUTSIDE their country nowadays, don't you think?, My sister went to London for a few months, she thought it was going to be great, turns out... it wasn't so she came back to Mexico, at the end is all about where do you feel most comfortable at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read an article saying Mexican food is the closest food to Korean. Although I can't say because all the "mexican" food in America aren't really mexican lol!

      Yup its popular to live outside of ones country. But, I think its worst in Korea lol My teacher asked my classmates in Korea, and everyone raised their hand lol!

      Delete
    2. LOL
      I wanna give it a try.... if it dosn't work... it's OK
      I really do love Mexico City ha^^

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for creating this amazing blog!!! In 2 days I read ALL the posts! :))
    I'm personally interested in life in Korea now because I just applied for a semester in one Seoul's college. I am extremely excited, and I wanted to know more and more about everything related to Korea. So thank you for all the information! It was very interesting, useful and motivating! I also found many similarities with Koreans and Latvians, huh!
    So I really hope I get the chance to study there!
    By the way, I am from Riga, Latvia (Eastern Europe)! And I'm happy for you taking the chances to study abroad! That's amazing!
    Good luck and success in future!
    Greetings from Latvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I guess your the reason I have 32 visits from Latvia XD
      I'm happy you found my blog helpful and motivating :)
      I really hope you do get the chance to study in Korea and find new inspiring experiences but I do warn you because there will be a balance of both good and bad experiences in Korea :)

      Thank you for visiting and commenting!! I hope you visit my blog again in the future as well! :)

      (Wow, can't believe you read all of my posts -.-)

      Delete
  4. me i'm 22 ys, Egyptian & my dream to live @ Korea & b married to Korean guy....so if i get he chance my study "mass media & communication " ll b useless @ Korea or no?? i know in Europe & America they don't recognize Egyptian education..ever the person ve master or more abroad Egypt he has only High school !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I think visiting Korea is a good start.... to see if you really do want to live in Korea. Ha Korea isn't wonderland XD

      Delete