Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Hometown

I was born in Seoul. Yes, the capital of Korea. Where it is crowded, bright, and loud. Its really too easy to assume that I live in an urban and tech savvy environment. But, really I never lived in such place. My hometown was near one of the most urban part of Seoul, but it was actually really antique. I lived in a house with a yard, which is considered either for really rich people or the really poor. And No, my family wasn't really rich so, we were relatively poor. My neighbor was really small, everyone knew each other. Even now, my parents still recognize some of the neighbors back 10 years ago. The place is quite dirty as everything is really old. Some of the houses are empty as the owners moved to a better place to live. This place is probably what is left of the ancient Seoul, like 30~40 years ago. So, it was really interesting to live there for the winter since we still own our old house. 

These are just some pictures to give you guys a basic idea of where I come from






This is where the cool kids hanged out :)
This place sells 떡볶이 (just copy paste and google it )
Duk Bok Ki, aka spicy rice cakes 



Finally, this last picture is where I lived. 
Its the house behind the truck. 
Yea, it was such a crappy place. 
But, it was the first house my parents were able to buy. 
The house where my sister and I were born.
The house I had my first dog and she had puppies.
Also, it had a lot of Morning Glory in the garden, which made my family love the flower so much!




p.s. I loved how it snowed when I got to Korea.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. Seeing pictures like these remind me of how hard our parents had to work to get us to where we are now...

    And lol compared to my home country, this "poor" section looks quite clean and organized :)

    ps. what is Morning Glory? I guess I could Google it but I'll ask you anyway :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Glory is the purple flower that looks like a trumpet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww!, what a nice post :D
    Thanks for showing us your neighbourhood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no problem! I love my hometown and its important to express my Korean experiences rather than just facts about Korea!

    ReplyDelete