Firstly, It wasn't that funny. I'm going to be a bit harsh on the movie. I really didn't like 정준하 Jeong Joon Hwa. He acted as the dumb person who lost his memory and ended up working for the opposing side's mafia. He is literally very disgusting. I get like how he was trying to be funny, but it seriously was disgusting. I wonder how many Koreans thought it was funny, because to me it was quite hard to watch. But, the rest, was quite funny. I like the grandma, 김수미 Kim Su Mi. She is really good at acting and she plays the role of the mother of the 3 mafia brothers. She really fits the character and she is very very amusing to watch. The other brothers were amusing as well, but I thought they could been funnier, way funnier. I thought the director was too focused on 정준하's funniness, that the rest were quite forgotten.
It was quite racist. If you are Japanese, I would really not recommend it, unless you are really open to racist jokes lol. I guess it was trying to poke fun out of our hatred of Japan. I mean, I guess, it was inevitable since they were mafia who didn't really have educations and our parent's generation who probably can relate more to Japanese rule in Korea.
It also degraded Koreans a bit. I'm not sure, but to me, if I weren't Korean, I would have thought Koreans as very disgusting, low people. I guess it is because of all the disgusting scenes the director made.
It also illustrated Koreans as heros. So basically, the Koreans become heros. That is all I'm going to say because its somewhat a spoiler. But, I never said what type of hero or why he or she is. I had to mention this because, the director then makes a certain person a hero. Its very nationalistic but if he was going to show good aspect of Koreans, why show disgusting scenes?
I thought the plot could been way better. I think they should have focused on the Kimchi market and like did stuff with the yakuza or something. I thought it would be more interesting than the current stuff.
It was exotic for sure. Because it takes place in Japan. No real exposure to Japanese culture, but somewhat different from Korea.
I wanted to see the other female characters from previous movies. They probably made the movie funnier and their absences felt like a real lost.
Overall, I thought the movie was weak. But, I would recommend people to watch it. Why? because people have different taste of humor. Some people probably found the movie hilarious, it was just me, who was too disturbed about the disgusting parts. I'll watch if 5th one comes out lol. Its probably worth it.
Btw, just a question for people who read this post. Don't be shy. When it comes to cuisine, would you prefer the original or the altered one that fits your taste?
Because, the movie talks about Kimchi and Kimuchi. Kimchi is the original, but Japanese can't pronounce Kimchi and pronounce it Kimuchi. However, the real problem for Korean companies is that Kimuchi sells better, than Kimchi. [The reason of the rage]. Apparently, most people like the Kimuchi better because it is less spicy and sweeter.
So, just wanted to hear some opinions on, if your tasting foreign food, you want the original or the altered?
Just let me know what you guys think!
call me old school, but when i'm trying a new dish from a different culture, i'd like it to be as close to original as it could be. how could it be a new experience if it taste like something that i'm used to eating. but to each their own..
ReplyDelete