Pages

Friday, May 23, 2014

Risk taking and GPA;

I went to a graduate school fair yesterday. I'll just call it p institute of technology. My dad saw the advertisement and recommended that I go there. I used to hate college fairs, because I would be wasting time getting to know about the school when I could be studying for exams and the SAT. However, I did give it a shot and it was pretty interesting. They talked about the new major they were promoting. They also explained the funding. The major is called creative IT. Sounds appealing. The support is pretty decent too. You get paid around 2k dollars a month I think and free graduate school. You also get a new laptop for free. I learned a lot from the graduate school fair.

But, there was one thing I didn't understand. They keep talking about taking risks and challenges. Then came the talk about having a good GPA. I sense a huge paradox. Unless you are uber smart, its hard to get a high GPA and take risks. I mean technically if you are uber smart, it wouldn't be taking a risk at all. I mean assuming you are smart, you have weighted the cost and percentages of getting a good grade in that class. Then, you take the course knowing what the out come may be. Technically you should be confident that you would be getting a decent grade. Whereas real risk taking is when you don't know what you'll get from that class. You just boldly take it. I mean a friend of mine had a 2.x GPA because he took a risk. He enjoyed cars with AI and focused on this project instead of going to classes. He did not know where this project was going to take him and if it would bring success or failure. In the end, the school suspended him for the low GPA. He took a risk and the school didn't appreciate it. I'm just ambivalent on this school's policy. They talk about creativity and risks, but at the end of the day, when it comes to admissions, they talk about GPA. fml



No comments:

Post a Comment