So, I've been busy doing nothing -.- Can't study can't be productive. Idk lol Just so... down these days. Anyways I just wanted to post a quick post about why do Koreans bow.
Koreans bow to show respect, like any other Asian culture. Long time ago we used to do the big bows, where our heads touch the ground. This is usually for really respectful people, like the king, elders and etc. Nowadays, we only do the big bow during our 제사 jae sa. Its a custom, ceremony to remember our ancestors who have passed away. Well, we kind of remember more of the elders who have more recently passed away. I have no clue what my great grandfather is like or anyone after my grandpa. I guess this is because Korea was had such chaotic times that we didn't really think it was important. Anyways we usually only bow to our ancestors cause they are definitely respected. Moreover, we also bow to our parents on 추석 chu suk and other ceremonies. However, we don't do big bows in everyday life.
We do the little bow which is where you do a 45 degrees bow. These are like our version of "hello!". We don't do this among friends but towards people who are not so familiar with, elders, and basically anyone older than you are. So, its just to show some respect.
I kind of like bowing. Its really polite and its really easy to do. I used to bow to every teacher whenever they walk by and sometimes to neighbors. Its kind of awkward not to say anything so bowing makes it kind of pleasant. Well, bowing among neighbors are disappearing but it still exist. Oh, and in companies you definitely want to bow to almost everyone, your superior and etc.
Omg. A lot of you can't believe how much hardship I have meeting friends' parents.... Especially if they are Asian... I really really really really really don't know if I should bow or wave my hand say "HI". I usually say HI and wave my hand, then I feel so much awkwardness inside me. Gah, I guess it can't be helped D: ''
Hope this gave somewhat a idea why Koreans bow and when Koreans bow!
Very informative post. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteNP!
Delete