Well, its not weird. Like the items are normal, its just that what we give as gifts are very strange. I didn't really notice this because I too thought it was normal.
So, I'll give ranking to weird items to give as presents
5. Fruits
Fruits are pretty common in Korea. US does give fruit as present but not as common as Korea.
4. Cosmetics
Koreans give lotions, perfume, toner set as gifts. This isn't too bad also, since it does happen.
3.Fish
Imagine getting fish as a gift. I bet nobody does this in America. However, in Korea, its pretty common. These fish gifts are pretty expensive as well. Usually they are high quality fish.
2. Meat
I believe a lot of Koreans would enjoy getting a Korean beef set. Korean cows are expensive -.-.
1. Spam
In the US, getting spam as a gift probably would be a joke. However, in Korea its a legit gift. I think its because spam is pretty expensive in Korea.
In Korea, anything can be gifts. Well, the thing is they have to be packaged and the mart usually have a specific section for these gifts. Also you should choose wisely on depending on who you are giving it to. Like any culture, you don't want to offend the receiver.
lol, we also give tooth paste as gifts.
Its kind of nice to get these gifts because they are efficient. You are going to save money buy not buying these necessities.
4. Cosmetics
Koreans give lotions, perfume, toner set as gifts. This isn't too bad also, since it does happen.
3.Fish
Imagine getting fish as a gift. I bet nobody does this in America. However, in Korea, its pretty common. These fish gifts are pretty expensive as well. Usually they are high quality fish.
2. Meat
I believe a lot of Koreans would enjoy getting a Korean beef set. Korean cows are expensive -.-.
1. Spam
In the US, getting spam as a gift probably would be a joke. However, in Korea its a legit gift. I think its because spam is pretty expensive in Korea.
In Korea, anything can be gifts. Well, the thing is they have to be packaged and the mart usually have a specific section for these gifts. Also you should choose wisely on depending on who you are giving it to. Like any culture, you don't want to offend the receiver.
lol, we also give tooth paste as gifts.
Its kind of nice to get these gifts because they are efficient. You are going to save money buy not buying these necessities.



One of Indian colleague who is a strict vegetarian had received Fish as gift during seollal in offce and it was like a joke for all of us.. Finally he gave it away to his other korean colleague.. and yes koreans do gift toilet paper rolls too (during a housewarming ceremony)... gifting is more or less symbolic in korea as the length of the toilet paper symbolizes longevity.. Long and Smooth flowing life..
ReplyDeleteAnd for those who want to take back home gifts for their loved ones from korea you can read this post... http://www.thekoreaguide.com/2010/08/13/korean-gift-ideas/
lol! Yeah it happens, glad you guys took it as a joke lol. Omg, haha at least he didn't get beef as a present!
DeleteI would love to get meat and fish heck even spam as a birthday gift!
ReplyDeleteYeah me too actually!!
Delete