So, what is a Korean national stew???
Its definitely the Doenjang jjigae. Its smelly, salty and the color isn't really great. However, we love it. Its our main diet. Well, its the best stew for sick people, especially for my dad. Some even say it can cure cancer. Its kind of funny, but there are few researches done in the U.S. to find the medical use of Doenjang .
Anyways why is Doenjang jjigae so healthy? Its uses fermented soy beans. Just like Kimchi its another proud Korean fermented product. The traditional way of producing it takes a lot of effort and care. However, most of us use the factory made Doenjang but still we get somewhat similar benefits. Moreover, this soup is very flexible. You can practically add anything to it. Well, not many people make Doenjang jjigae really meaty but not recommend. Its very veggie centered soup. On the other hand, Doenjang jjigae tastes really good with sea food. Actually I love sea food Doenjang jjigae. Its originated from Jeju island and they put a huge amount of sea treasures. I haven't had the real thing since I left Jeju island, but our family uses sea food to flavor our Doenjang jjigae.
So, since this a very common dish I posted a fast tutorial on how to make Deonjang jjigae. Its really easy, and healthy. If you are up for a challenge to face the true taste of Korea, you must try Doenjang jjigae. Its fine if you don't like it but please try at least, since you can't say you hate something when you never tried it.
Durian is one of the fruits that I hated, only because I never tried it. It smelled bad and I never tasted it. Hence I thought I hated it. However, that was not true. When I actually got myself to taste it, it wasn't really bad. And the second time I tasted it, it was amazing. I was missing out in life. So, please try tasting stuff at least 2 times. The first one to just get familiar with the food and the second to actually judge whether you like it or not. Most likely the more you expose yourself to the hard to eat food, you would actually start to love it, like I love Durian .
P.s. eat Doenjang jjigae with rice. Korean soup are not like chicken soup. You must have rice to enjoy it.
Note: I wanted people to know that the wikipedia page for Doenjang jjigae and other Korean foods are really almost empty. I was hoping that English speakers who are more knowledge about these dishes cultural history or preparation, to contribute! Your else wiki page for Doenjang jjigae will be spamed by myself trying to be a wannabe and write lies.
CONTRIBUTE PPL!
http://www.medical-answers.org/hd/index.php?t=Doenjang
Lol yes, you and your Durian Ais kacang. Why is it so smelly? Fermented soy beans doesn't sound that bad. That's what soy sauce is, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteits quite smelly, well as a Korean i don't feel that way but I heard a lot of people indicate that it smells bad lol
ReplyDeletesoy sauce != fermented soy beans
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doenjang