Before reading: I am generalizing the Korean image. Not ALL Koreans think this way. This probably how I see Korean image of south east asians. This isn't racial stereotypes, its just how a Korean would perceive a racial group.
The image of South East Asians are getting better. With kpop idols traveling to South East Asia to understand their culture as well as spread the Korean culture, two regions are interacting with each other actively. However, the problem is the image of South East Asia before this.
South East Asian Male
South east asian males aren't really viewed positively in Korea. The problem is that most South East Asians are from poor families who came to Korea for labor and money. And there are few cases that these people caused crime against Koreans. So, Koreans tend to avoid them.
But from personal experiences, I thought South east asian laborers were well mannered, at least my few experiences seeing them. I've seen them in airports and in Korean subway. They were usually quiet and looked like nice people. Its kind of funny that they are always in a group XD They never travel alone. Anyways, I guess for South east asian males few people create an image of South east asian males that they are likely to cause crime. And I have never seen a well off south east asian male in Korea -.- Well off as in wearing branded clothes, with ipods, etc ... I guess they don't have much interest in Korea haha
South East Asian Female & mixed children
One negative image of south east asian females is that they are "imported brides." I think some of the people will know about this. There is a marriage agency that would connect Korean males with south east asian females. Sounds nice? There is a lot of problems with this. South east asian women are marrying for money and Korean males are "buying" brides. So, there is no love involved in their marriage. Moreover, most Korean males that are involved in this are from the lower class of the Korean society, meaning they aren't very educated or mannered. Sometimes brides are beaten brutally by Korean men. Also, by having poor brides from south east asia constantly coming to Korea, the image of south east asian females is that they are poor people. Another problem is mixed children. I've read a bit about mixed children because I was interested in marrying a foreigner. Mixed children have awful lives in Korea. They usually end up having to move to another country or stop their education. The problem is Koreans don't like differences or people who stand out. I was picked on because I lived in a foreign country. I assume it is worst for mixed children.
In contrast, Korea is starting to learn a lot about south east asian countries because of there is a lot of kpop fans in south east asia. I think the image of south east asians will get better because of the interaction and the growth of south east asia.
lol, since I lived in South East Asia, I'll just write about
South East Asian Image of Koreans (well more like Malay view of Koreans)
I think south east asians don't like Koreans. First Koreans are too loud. We like to talk loud and enjoy ourselves without considering others (in contrast we are really quiet in public transportation XD). So, we tend to be too loud to foreigners. Second we drink to much. Koreans are heavy drinkers so they go to foreign countries and do bad stuff when they get drunk. Third, we make too many babies in foreign countries such as south east asia. I heard there is a lot of Korean Filipino babies because Korean men would go to Philippines have sex with prostitutes. Also we have this thing called "guests are gods." I really think south east asians don't get this because they tend to think "I own this restaurant, I am the owner and I can kick you out." So, what happen is Koreans get mad at south east asians for not fully committing with their services and south east asian want to kick the Koreans out. XD I actually experienced this a lot, I feel the the owner doesn't care about the customers. I think the only place in Malaysia where they have good service is in hotels. Another problem is Korean pride. Sometimes Korean pride makes south east asians feel that they are looked down upon.
But again this differs among individuals. From personal experiences, they didn't really like us because I think they think we are rich "assholes" while they have to do the "dirty work." But it wasn't too bad because I don't think any Koreans really cared XD
No comments:
Post a Comment