Today I read an article about an African American English teacher in Korea, punching an elder...
I heard it was because the elder said "shut up please". According to the people on the bus, the African American was talking really loud in the bus. Talking loud in the bus isn't a proper thing to do. Its like farting in the elevator. So... The African American got mad and punched the elder. I guess saying "shut up please" isn't a proper thing to do as well. But, I assume he saw it in the movies and followed it -.- Since Korean elders, well a lot of them lack English. However, punching elders, isn't a proper thing to do as well. There probably was another reason that he got really mad.
According to few comments, I read that the African American thought the grandfather was racist saying "niga". Well, niga in Korea means.. "니가" you!... So, he had it completely wrong. I don't think old Koreans know what niga means in English anyways -.- Most grand parents didn't go to school.
As for tourist, I hope you people don't feel bad cause someone said "niga". Its just a word in Korean, that means you!. Moreover, the Chinese use the word "nigee". It was pretty funny how my white friend was very angry at his Chinese friends for saying "nigee". I forgot what it means, but for sure its not the racist comment we all know about.
Just wanted to post this, so that future misunderstandings are somewhat prevented.
Oh if they start saying "gae se ki" (개새끼) "mi chin nom"(미친놈), they are dissing you. So, you can go say "mae rong"(메롱) to them.
Thanks for the tip!! *hug* I was able to change the url successfully. I guess I had just assumed that the name was irreversible for some reason. :/ and appearantly I was too lazy to go through the options to find the solution...hahaha.
ReplyDeleteNo problem ^^
ReplyDeleteThat does not look and definitely does not sound like a teacher. I feel so bad for the elder and his family there.
ReplyDeleteYeah...it was violent. Honestly, even if I try to look at it both side, I don't think there should have been that much violence....
ReplyDeleteHmm, interesting post! For the Chinese part, I think you might be talking about "那個。" It can be pronounced nage or neige. (neige definitely sounds like the n word.) It means "that one." And by one I mean whichever thing you might be referencing...
ReplyDeleteanyway love your blog~! I'll continue to read around.
-Jenn
lol!! I was talking about this word again with my friends[Chinese] and your absolutely right!
ReplyDeleteThanks again for reading my posts!
Feel free to follow me!